Friday, June 6, 2014

Friday Afternoon Lunch

 I try to work my 40 hours between Monday and Thursday so that I can have my Fridays off to work on things around the house.  I always have an endless list of projects to keep my busy.  But this Friday, my Mom and her cousin, Helen, came for lunch and we had a delightful time. It was a perfect sunny day to eat lunch on the screened porch.
 
 
I enjoyed trying new recipes and setting a summer table.
 
 
 
It's so fun to entertain.  I am such a project driven person, but I am learning to slow down and enjoy friends and family.  It is a process for me ~ one that I find to be a joyful journey.  So, come and enjoy a Friday afternoon lunch with me.
~
It's a simple lunch. I tried a yummy new recipe from The Recipe Critic called Strawberry Avocado Spinach Salad with Creamy Poppyseed Dressing.  Instead of using spinach, I used salad greens fresh from my garden.  So easy to make, pretty, and tasty.
 
 
I'm not a big salad eater during the winter, but in the summer they are the perfect light, healthy meal, especially when served with a good bread.
 
 
So that's it ~ just a healthy salad, bread, and flavored water.
 
 
The water was simple too, just add ice, sliced cucumbers, strawberries, 
lime, and a sprig of mint.
 
 
  Polka dot straws and pretty flowers complete the table.
 
 
The flowers came from the garden too.  To match the plates, I picked yellow Lady's Mantle, pink begonias, and red roses.
 
 
 
I did serve desert too ~ Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ but I'll serve that up in another post soon.
~
I think I might try to do this more often on Fridays, if not every Friday, 
than at least every other.
Hope you're having happy summer outdoor meals too.
~
Linking with
~
The Shabby Nest for Frugal Friday
~
How Sweet the Sound for Pink Saturday
~
Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
~
StoneGable for The Scoop 
~
A Stroll Thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday

16 comments:

Stacey said...

The salad sounds absolutely delicious and your table is lovely. I would consider that meal a real treat!

Connie said...

It sounded like a lovely way to spend an afternoon, and your table looked so pretty :) Our old house had a screened porch and it is on my list of things to do with our new fixer-upper. Maybe next year we will get around to screening in the porch. It is so comforting when you know that you will not have a single fly or bee pestering you :)

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

We DID have the absolute most perfect weather for just this occasion, Cindy! We seldom do so I am very glad for you.

I was in such a mood to do this very thing but instead I worked alllll day - but moved my computer to the kitchen so at least I could take mental breaks and enjoy the birds and garden. I loved it - I hate being stuck in the office or basement, just not like my backyard!

I bet you, your Mom and your Aunt really enjoyed yourselves today.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Gone Country said...

That salad sounds so refreshing and your table is lovely! How nice to be able to eat and decorate with things from your garden

Glad you enjoyed your visit and down time. I'm also very project driven but as I get older I am realizing the importance of spending time with friends and family and it's always wonderful. I have also found that the down time renews my energy for all my projects :) enjoy more visits entertaining!

Anonymous said...

Summer salads are perfect and yours looks delicious! Do you know where the plates are from? The polka dot plates? They are so much fun!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful table you set! And the salad looks scrumptious. I'm sure your mom and her cousin had a wonderful time.

Great idea to do that kind of luncheon on a regular basis.

Blessings,
Patti

Southwest Cottage Designs said...

What a lovely and inspiring post! I adore the polka dot straws and all the pretty colors. The salad looks and sounds very appetizing.
On the inspiring part, you know how sometimes you keep thinking about a certain thing you want or need to do? And that certain word or thing keeps popping up in unexpected places by what you read or by what people say? It happened again while I was reading your post - "joyful journey"! Wow! Thank you for sharing your post.
--kitchenhospitality.com

Madonna/aka/Ms Lemon of Make Mine Lemon said...

Your table setting looks so inviting and your salad looks delicious.


Madonna
MakeMineLemon

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! What a feast for the eyes! I'm the same way with salads, I don't like them in winter, but love them in hot weather. Take care - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

June said...

Cindy, that salad looks so delicious!!! I love your beautiful table setting with those pretty plates and vase of flowers. I have always love your screened porch and have been trying to talk Dale into one on our home. So far no luck, but I am relentless :))))
sending hugs...

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Such a wonderful spot to enjoy friends and I have to try that water....it sounds too good to pass up!

My Garden Diaries said...

Oh lady...so sorry I am late to the party! It has been nuts around here! Your table is beautiful with that mix of colors on the table! And that salad sounds like the most perfect recipe for summer! I want to give that one a go for sure! And how very stunning and clever to use lady's mantle in that bouquet! I LOVE THAT! So glad to hear that you had a great time with your mom and her cousin! Yes...slowing down and enjoying company is high on my list as well! Have a great week friend! Nicole xoxo

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

One of the greatest pleasures in life is sitting around a table with friends and family. Yours is so cheery and pretty! The color is wonderful. One of my favorite salads too!

summerland cottage said...

Cindy,
How absolutely charming and so well thought out. I love that you created the flower arrangement and salad with garden clippings! How creative you are!
Thank you for sharing the beauty and great recipes!
Paulette

Linda P said...

I'm sure you guests enjoyed time with you. Your table setting is so pretty in every detail and with delicious food you must have had a relaxing get-together.

Art and Sand said...

Not sure how I ended up here, but I have been scrolling through your gorgeous photos.

Love the tablescapes and the gardens.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...