Well Project 2 is finally finished. This one was more difficult and took
longer than I had anticipated.
The stairway is between two walls and is somewhat dark except when the early morning light comes in the window at the top of the stairs. The stairs have been carpeted for the 25 years I've lived here. This is how they looked when I started.
Here is a closeup of what I found after removing the carpet.
I used a heat gun to strip the layers of paint off of the side wood and the kick boards. Then I patched all the staple holes with wall spackle.
Next I sanded down the stair treads, stained, and finished them with two coats of polyurethane. I also removed the hand rail, sanded and repainted it.
Finally after painting and caulking, this is how they turned out.
What a vast difference and worth all the work. I can say that now that they are finished. During the process, I wasn't so sure of that.
View from the top of the stairs looking into the newly refinished hallway/cul de sac.
Here is a "Before and After" photo to show the difference.
The costs on this project came in way under $100 mostly because I already had the stain and poly from refinishing my hardwood floors. But here is what I did spend:
I'm a mother of one "out-of-college" daughter, inheritor of one cat,a dog and four chickens, full time medical secretary, gardener, painter of furniture, fixer-upper and handy woman around my house, passionate about decorating, lover of flea markets and yard sales, restorer of old things, but most importantly, a daughter of God. Blogging is a way to journal and share my life, passions, and journey with anyone interested enough to follow along.