Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Trays

Don't you love trays?  They have so many uses and always add that extra special touch to a room.  I found this tray for $1 at a yard sale 3 or 4 years ago and then it sat in my garage for most of that time.  
 
 
The man I bought it from said he used it to hold pieces and parts when he took something he was working on apart so he wouldn't lose them.  I thought that was a wise use of a tray.
 
 
As far as I can remember, all I did was add some dark wax to this tray to add to it's already old look.  A few weeks ago I thought I'd add some handles to it, and found these at Hobby Lobby for half off.
 
 
Aren't they perfect?  They add just the right touch.
I keep this tray on a small bench next to my favorite lounging chair where it holds a little bit of everything I need to keep handy.
 
 
 
Then over the weekend I made another tray from a long piece of scalloped wood I bought several years ago for $10 at a flea market. 
 
 
When I bought this piece of wood I had no idea what I was going to do with it, but I loved its shapely curves.  I used a piece of old leftover wood for the bottom.  I would have liked to miter the corners, but thought that might be more of a challenge than I felt up to, so I settled for blunt end corners.
 
 
 
I can hardly wait to find more fun ways to use it throughout the coming seasons.
 

 
Linking with
~
Common Ground for Be Inspired
~
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
~
The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays
~
Mod Vintage Life for Mod Mix Monday
~
Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
~
Stone Gable for The Scoop
 

19 comments:

A New England Life said...

What a great idea! I love the scalloped tray! I have a painted white tray my husband made for me but it doesn't have any handles. Still, it works perfectly for photo shoots with flowers.

My Garden Diaries said...

Yes I love trays! And that tray that you got for 1 dollar is awesome! Those handles from Hobby Lobby are just too fantastic! It does give it that perfect look!
And Im so impressed with that tray that you made!!! The scalloped edges of that wood is just beautiful! I would have picked up that wood too! And it looks so pretty with your plants resting on it! We are in for more snow this weekend! I am beginning to think that winter will never leave at this point! I am trying very hard to stay patient!!! Have a great week friend! Nicole xoxo

Betty said...

Love your trays. I have one that needs to be painted and will be working on it soon.

Suzanne said...

Your trays have such great patina. The one you made from scalloped wood is especially charming. There are so many great ways to use these!
Suzanne

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Cindy, I love trays and both of these are awesome! I love the rope handles that you added to the first one. The scalloped edge is super sweet! I'd love if you shared this with my link party, Share Your Cup Thursday. It's about sharing the things that make you happy.
hugs,
Jann

Laura Everyday Edits said...

Cindy- These trays are great! I am inspired! Would love if you would link this post to Friday Favorites at http://imnotatrophyywife.com

laura

Revi said...

I love your scalloped tray! And it's so clever of you to add handles to your vintage tray. First time visitor and new follower. Drop by for a visit - I love thrift store finds, too!
Revi from Revisionary Life
www.revisionarylife.blogspot.com

Poppy said...

Cindy,

Both your trays are gorgeous!! The rough textured handles from Hobby Lobby are a perfect complement to the first tray's colours and feel, and the scalloped edges of the second one, full of whimsy and charm, are very unique. Both look fitting in your beautiful home.

Poppy

Poppy said...

Cindy,

Both your trays are gorgeous!! The rough textured handles from Hobby Lobby are a perfect complement to the first tray's colours and feel, and the scalloped edges of the second one, full of whimsy and charm, are very unique. Both look fitting in your beautiful home.

Poppy

Stacey said...

They are both wonderful! I have a love affair with trays too. Your scalloped one is gorgeous. Scallops have just recently caught my eye and I'd like to find some old pieces of wood. Was sort of hoping that tray was in your Etsy but I don't blame you for keeping it. :)

La Vie Quotidienne said...

I love what you did with the scalloped tray...who would think to create something so pretty out of scrap wood. Marvelous!

bj said...

O, I am sooo in love with both trays. I was reading about the first one and thought "how cute this would be with handles" and darn if you didn't put some real winners on it. It looks fabulous and now I want one, too...!! :)

bj said...

O, and I meant to say, I love trays, too and have about 5 or 6...(not as cute as yours, tho) :(

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I love the scalloped tray and the handles on the first one! I, too, love trays and sometimes just use them as decor.

Shortbread and Ginger said...

I love the tray - so useful!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Ohhh you are so right! Trays are great, that's a staple I can't seem to pass up when I see one. Love the scalloped tray and the handles you added to the first one...

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Trays make so much sense. You have a couple of great looking ones. (Thanks for the lovely comment! Purple transferware seems like a MUST for spring! So cheery.)

June said...

Oh my goodness Cindy!!! I love these trays! I love trays too. So many useful ways to put them to use...but I think the guy you bought that first one from was genius!
Sending hugs...

Debra@CommonGround said...

LOVE these, the scalloped one is so adorable!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...