Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Trio of Chalkboards

Chalkboards are one of my best sellers at the store and so easy to make.
I personally feel, the secret is in finding a great frame to start the project.
These three are my favorites of all the ones I've made so far and all
the frames were found at yard sales this summer.

I think this frame was a vanity mirror in it's previous life because
it has holes in the sides that make me think it was attached to some kind of
stand at some point.






I pretty much left it in it's original state other than a very light sanding and
an application of Caromal Color's brown toner.  I love the detail work at the top
giving it so much character and personality.






This next one is an old oak frame that held a mirror when I bought it, but the
mirror was in such bad shape that I threw it away.






As you can tell, these are pretty large frames.  I like the curved top on this one and
the detail work in each corner.






The last one is kind of a plain Jane, but is actually my favorite.  I think what gives it
it's unique personality is it's large dimensional frame.  I forgot to take a 
picture of it from the side to show you how deep the frame actually is.






Again, I didn't do much to this one either except apply brown toner and touch up
the black paint, only to distress it again.  All three frames already had an old 
vintage look that I wanted to preserve and simply enhance.






Also heading off to the store is this rusty pineapple pedestal urn that I
filled with gourds.  The one in the center looks like a goose sticking it's head out.






Linking with
~
Coastal Charm  for Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays
~
A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday
~
House of Grace  for Twice Owned Tuesday
~
Restore Interiors for Restored it Wednesday
~
Domestically Speaking for the Power of Paint Party
~
Savvy Southern Style  for Wow Us Wednesday

 

10 comments:

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

It does look like a goose head! I love all the mirrors Cindy...great transformations!~Hugs, Patti

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I've made many chalkboards, and a great frame really takes it to the next level. You have some great frames. I especially like that first one.

Kara @ June & Bear said...

All of those frames are lovely, but I especially love the first one. Just beautiful.

Anita said...

Oooo I love the last one too! They are all beautiful and unique though. Thanks for stopping by!!

Pamela said...

My fave is the first one! I am actually getting ready to make one as well from an old mirror backing. Do you prefer the roll on chalk paint or the spray on??

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

I love all of your chalkboards, they are great and perfect frames. The pineapple pedestal is stunning. Such a great piece. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

They're really beautiful - I'm sure I had a frame somewhere I was going to makeover.

Pat said...

Your chalkboards are fantastic. Love the wood finish, really looks rich.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Awesome chalkboards, the first one is my favorite!! Martina

Robin said...

I love chalkboards too and am planning to redo one I got for free from my church. Your displays really pulled me in from the linky party. Great post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...