Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The Big Black Desk

This big black desk came back home with us after our last show at Scott's and she's a beauty.  If I had a new-build home with one of those offices right off the entrance, she would be a keeper.  But, I live in a 1940's little cottage-style house and the rooms are not big enough.
 
This is how I staged the desk for the Scott's show since our show had a Christmas theme.  It looks so lovely with reds.
 
 
I found a 100-year old L.C. Smith typewriter  to display on the desktop.  The typewriter was mammoth, but almost looked small on the desk.
 
 
 
I displayed this vintage framed photo of a fox-hunt with it loving the mixture of the black and red.
 
 
 
There's something about this photo that I really love, but it doesn't match my décor, so I listed it on Etsy hoping to find it a loving home.
 
 
 
Until I find the desk a new home, it is residing in my living room.  It has been fun playing around with different vignettes on the top of it.  This is how I arranged it for Christmas at our house.
 
 
 
With it's large top, it allows for a lovely display, a table lamp, and still plenty of ample room for working.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 This desk came from The Ohio State University, where I'm sure it sat in an office or classroom for years.  It had a formica top on it, which I took off and replaced with new oak veneer.  It is solid oak and I painted it black and distressed it to give it an updated look.  I found a solid period chair that looks as if it came out of a school library to go with it, making them a lovely couple. 
But what I love most about this desk is the lovely scalloped trim along the bottom edge of it.  I think it takes what could be a masculine-looking desk and gives it a feminine touch.  I find that beauty is so often in the details.
 
 
 
 
I sure hope I can find this black beauty a new home where it will be loved as much as I love it because it truly deserves another lease on life where it will be used and cherished for years to come.
 
 
 

7 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

It is gorgeous. I love how you have been styling it, so pretty.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

BEAUTIFUL desk!!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Hmmm...as you know I have a new build home with an office off the entrance and the walls are grey and the furniture is black.....

What are the dimensions, price and also- is that a working drawer of old, for pencils, etc, or a drop-down for a keyboard for pc? Just wondering.

As you may remember hubs did this solid oak built in desk thing, which works well enough so not sure - but sure do love that desk!

It'd be nice even as a bedroom piece for those lucky enough to have huge bedrooms....be a wonderful make up table, with lots of room for decor too.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, friend. Hugs. ♥

My Garden Diaries said...

I have always wanted one of those fox-hunt photos!!! I may have to get then one from you!! And that desk.....oh it is just too magnificent dressed up with that typewriter!!! Wishing you a blessed New Year friend!!! Nicole xo

Unknown said...

It's so pretty and I love how you styled it (both times)!

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

How I wish my little farmhouse were already built. This gorgeous old desk would be perfect! You did a really nice job on it--and ALL of the fabulous furniture you took to Scott's. You have a wonderful eye for styling. :-)

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Such a beautiful desk! But I am with you on the space thing. You just have to make choices. So nice to know that you stopped by! Hope the year has started out well for you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...