Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Meet the Girls

I apologise in advance for the poor quality of these pictures.  They are under a red heat lamp for warmth and they are moving constantly, so it wasn't prime conditions for a photo shoot.  But never the less, here they are.
~
This is Sally and she is a Polish chicken.
 
 She has a mop head and when she is full grown, will have a crazy feather hair do. 
~
This is Wendy.  Not sure what kind of chick she is ~ we'll just have to wait and see how she turns out.
 
 
Here is Lucy Lu posing with Wendy.  She's also a Polish chick and sometimes I call her "Blondie" for obvious reasons.  Lucy Lu came to us by default as I returned a chick that was an aggressive bully and beating up on everyone, especially Sally.  I wasn't real crazy about her at first because I didn't want any of the fancy chickens, but she has quickly grown to be my favorite.  Her blond mop head makes me smile constantly.
 
 
In case you're wondering, they are posing on top of a big stuffed lop-eared bunny I gave them.  From the very first moment, they loved this bunny and snuggled with it.  Now they play "queen of the hill" and poop all over her.  Going to have to sneak her out of there for a trip through the washer and dryer.
 ~
Here in the center is Gertie.  She is one of our Australorp chicks and they are the sweetest of the girls.  Darling personality, friendly and inquisitive.  They will be totally black when full grown.
 
    
And here is Dolly ~ our other Australorp.  We can only tell them apart because Dolly's beak is mostly all black.
 
   
A few more pics to share with you.  They are a week or so old  at this point and getting more active every day.
 
 
 
Which one is your favorite?
~
And here is Moby who watches them endlessly.  Not sure what to do with him as he is completely and totally obsessed with them.  He doesn't even bother us when we eat anymore, nor does he seem much interested in his own food.  I wish this obsession was a show of protection, but my fear is that he'll never stop obsessing over them and I have no doubt he would gulp one down in a hot second.  
 
 
I think we have some interesting days ahead as they get more flighty.  We still have at least three more weeks of them in the house before they can move outside to the coop.  And then there is the other problem that the coop isn't anywhere near done yet.  I guess we'll just have to take it one day at a time.

8 comments:

Debby said...

Love the one with a mohawk. do you have them at your house. It would be so much fun. Love the dog staring at them.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Such sweetness, there is nothing cuter than baby animals.
~Jo

Lucille said...

I've never seen a chicken like Lucy Lu. A chicken with a modern hairdo! So funny! You certainly have taken on a lot. I can see you'll have a very busy summer. They're so cute, though. It's good to be surrounded by animals.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

SO CUTE!!!!

My fav is Blondie. That looks to be an impressive pompadour she's sporting.

Good luck with these chickens, Cindy!
What an exciting enterprise you have taken on!

My Garden Diaries said...

Oh I can not pick one!! They are all so adorable and I love that they are playing king of the hill on the bunny! So so cute! What sweet personalities!!! Good luck getting the coop done...I can't wait to hear more stories about your crew!!!

Linda P said...

I'm curious to see Sally full grown as you say she will have quite a 'hairdo' of fancy feathers, but they are all interesting. You're going to have a busy time! Looking forward to seeing more of them as they grow.

Robyn said...

Oh they are just adorable!.. I think my favorite is "blondy".. she is just SO cute with that little mop of hair..

SouthernHeart said...

I think Blondie is my favorite! I love baby chicks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...