Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Office Makeover (In case you're tired of looking at Christmas)

In the last few months my office has undergone a
 minor makeover mostly consisting of new paint, carpet, and curtains.  The office walls were previously a pastel yellow which went well with the blue, but I was longing for the crispness of blue and white.
 
 
My office is done in a beach theme which is my attempt to soothe my longing to be near the water.
 
 
First I painted the walls white and got rid of all the yellow in the room.  Then I added bead board wallpaper to the one wall that isn't textured.  Bead board is the perfect look for a beach/cottage theme and went well with the armoir I found last summer at a yard sale and painted white.


 
 I saw a pair of drapes in a spring issue of Victoria magazine  that actually inspired my desire to makeover my office.  I looked online for similar fabric, but to no avail.  Then I emailed Victoria magazine and inquired as to the manufacturer of the drapes, but they didn't know.  Then one day, while browsing through a thrift store I rarely visit, I found these drapes which are almost exactly like the ones from the magazine.  These drapes are Waverly and only cover the edges of the window, but I was thrilled beyond words to find something so similar and so affordable.
 
 
 Next, I made new pillows for the sofa.  I had all these blue and white fabrics that I had collected over the years and it was fun to finally get to put them to use.
 
 
 
I just love this chenille bedspread that I use on the couch for a throw.
 
  
A shelf with pegs over the sofa holds a collection of beachy odds and ends.
 
  
A beach/Christmas vignette adorns my desk.
 
 
A blue crab that fondly reminds me of when I 
lived in Maryland.
 
 
And a touch of Christmas.
 
  
This sweet little tree I found at a yard sale this summer for $3.  It held votive candles and I painted it white.  But it is perfect for holding Christmas ornaments too.
I also hung ornaments and snowflakes from the curtain rod that I will leave up all winter.
 

  
 Linking with
~
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
The Shabby Nest for Frugal Friday 

6 comments:

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Looks nice! Very fresh, wonderful changes!

Lucille said...

Your makeover is extraordinary! I love how you have arranged the "scape" on top of the armoire. And the chenille throw brings back memories. There was a time when we had chenille bedspreads and chenille bathrobes. Now, I don't see them anymore. The Waverley fabric is so lovely. You were so lucky to find it. I love all your blue and white Christmas decorations. They go well with your theme! It will be so uplifting to work in such a pretty environment. I think rooms like that make getting up in the morning so much easier!

Bonnie said...

Love your crisp blue and white. So soothing and cheerful. Pretty view out the window too. I like the fabrics and your room is darling.

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Your office looks wonderful! I love the crispness of the blue and white and all the beachy items! It is such a cheerful room! The vintage chenille throw is a great addition! ~Hugs, Patti

Anonymous said...

It's all so charming, Cindy. Love the beadboard wallpaper and how lucky to find those perfect curtains. Your pillows and throw make it very cozy too. You definitely captured the beachy feel!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I love blue and white, you have done a fantastic job with your makeover!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...