Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Save Summer in a Jar

 
The cucumbers are starting to come in, so I decided to try my hand at making dill pickles.  It's been at least 30 years since I've attempted to make pickles.  These were so easy and fun to make, but the real test is in the taste, and these are BETTER than store bought pickles.
This year I only planted small cucumbers that you can use for pickling,  but they are great for salads too.  I like them much better than the larger cucumbers because they are more crunchy and are just the amount of cucumber I need for a salad. 
No leftovers ~ no waste.
 
 
Another plus was having fresh dill from the garden, along with dill seeds, especially since I could not find them in the grocery store.
 
 
The best part of preserving food is seeing the jars all lined up when you are finished.  It gives me a great sense of satisfaction. . .
 
 
. . . especially in the middle of winter.
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

My Garden Diaries said...

How beautiful are your jars!!! I would have to agree with you on the satisfaction you must feel when seeing all of those pickle jars lined up! I hope to become more proficient in canning as it would make me feel so good!!! I would love to know your recipe!!! Happy day to you friend!!! Nicole xoxo

June said...

Wow, do these photo make me want a home canned pickle right now!Your photos are beautiful!!!I love the look of freshly canned anything. Nothing has given me more satisfaction than filling a root cellar with the harvest from the garden.
sending hugs...

Lucille said...

Your pickles look very nice and I'm sure they will be equally delicious! They make such a pretty picture!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...