Sunday, June 29, 2014

Best Ever Potato Salad

 
I've been making this potato salad for over 25 years.  The recipe comes from a small Pennsylvania Dutch Cookbook that I bought in Lancaster, PA so many years ago that it is tattered and torn.  Funny thing is, it's the only recipe I've ever made from this cookbook, and it is a crowd pleaser.
I thought maybe you might enjoy trying it too for a 4th of July picnic or family gathering.
 
Pennsylvania Dutch Potato Salad
 
8 - 12 medium sized potatoes
1 - 2 stalks celery, diced
2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
1 onion, minced
4 slices bacon
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar
 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon minced parsley
~
Cook potatoes in their skins. 
 
 
 When tender and cool, peel and dice.  Add the celery, hard-cooked eggs, 
and onion; toss lightly.
 
 
Fry the bacon in a skillet until crisp and brown.
(I used 5 slices because they were very thin slices.)
 
 
 Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.
Beat eggs in a small bowl and add sugar, salt, pepper, mustard, and a mixture of vinegar and water; mix well.  Pour egg mixture into the hot bacon fat and stir until mixture thickens (about 10 minutes).
 
 
  Pour over the potato mixture and toss lightly to mix thoroughly. 
 
 
 Garnish with parsley and serve.
 

 
The recipe says to chill several hours before serving, but I love this potato salad served immediately still warm or at room temperature.  In fact, I don't even care for it that much if it is chilled.  
My family requests this potato salad every time there is a summer gathering and I rarely have any leftovers to bring home.  That's how much they love it and I guarantee your family and guests will too! 
 
Have a happy 4th of July!!! 
 
 
Linking with
~
Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
~
Cedar Hill Farmhouse for The Scoop
 

7 comments:

June said...

Oh boy...I can hardly wait to try this recipe! I am always looking for new potato salad recipes to try for summer dining and I have never seen one like this. Thanks so much for sharing it!
many hugs...

My Garden Diaries said...

I thank you sooooo much for this one friend!!! I don't have a potato salad recipe and yours looks delicious!!!! I will be pinning this and whipping it together with our hamburgers and hotdogs!!! You have an outstanding week!!! Nicole xoxo

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Oh my goodness, I never read a recipe like that. I am SO going to try making it just as you do - yum, sounds absolutely fabulous.

Thanks, Cindy!!

Isn't this weather hot and humid? I can barely stand going outdoors. I just hate it like this.

Stacey said...

Sounds wonderful especially with that bacon in there!! :)

Andi's English Attic said...

Being veggie I'm wondering if this would work without the bacon. I'll try it and let you know. x

Sweet Woodruff said...

It sounds delicious. I don't think I've ever tasted one like this before, so I'm curious to try it. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Oh my this looks wonderful! My Mother was born in Lancaster County and her side of the family was PA Dutch. I love warm potato salad myself. And how can you go wrong with BACON!?! I know everybody will love this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...